Friday, April 11, 2014

So I am the person you start to talk to on the train or at a party who has a great story about some little place that's near your house or that you have driven by or driven through.  And I am a talked (not a writer) and I love to share.  My friend and I have been taking day trips and one nighters for a while, but I have to say this all started when gas was cheap and my kids were young.  We were poor, I was a single Mom.  Sometimes when I had a day off we would jump in the car, start off on one road and take it all the way.....or at least until we were bored or were running out of gas.  We would take 30 (Lincoln Highway) or 45 (Mannheim) and drive and see what we could find.  Obviously I like to drive.  We live in a southern suburb of Chicago so we have lots of one dayers surrounding us.
What i found out about my kids was that they weren't interested in alot of the things I was finding, I wasn't interested in searching out fast food places to stop at (like where is the McDonalds in McLean County?) So we found other ways to occupy our days.....
My kindred spirit, my alto ego, the chain to my link is my friend Susie.  She generally will never say no to one of my 'drives' even when she has no idea where it will end.  She and I make a great team.
Every time we take one of our drives we tell our other friends and acquaintances about our travels.  The little restaurants and bars, the fun facts. So I decided to start writing them down as a travel log.  For my own and others to reference when the road calls.


No comments:

Post a Comment